01 February, 2015

Want to Make a Difference? It's Easy... Show Up.

I should start this post out, so it actually makes sense, sharing a conversation I had today with a friend I met this last semester while living at my apartment complex. This girl is beyond bright, strong, forthright, wise, and extremely capable; I can't think of another girl I've ever met who could feel safer getting trapped with in a natural disaster, or any disaster for that matter. And she said something that struck me. She said she didn't feel like anything she did really made a difference. She felt that if she really made a major difference to people then she would see it.

I was shocked really. I knew first hand that comments she shared in our ward and the friendship she extends so genuinely has impacted not only myself and my roommate, but also others in our ward. She's not only noticed, but listened to and appreciated. I shared with her specific moments I knew she made a difference even when she didn't realize it. Most often because she showed up and was herself.

I began to wonder if other people feel the same way this girl has. If there are those out there who have no idea just the positive influence they are by being there, having the courage to encourage others, or just lifted someone up by giving a smile.

Then I went about my day honestly, and didn't really think about it again. That is until I was reading a talk tonight by President Gordon B. Hinckley, which I guess it's actually early morning now isn't it? And it's funny how that exact thing stood out; like a recurring theme for the day. I highlighted my favorite part in the screenshot on the right. It says:

"The major work of the world is done by ordinary people who have learned to work in an extraordinary way. This is what makes the difference."

Likewise, I think, some acts that seem ordinary, small and even maybe inconsequential make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Texting someone just to ask how they are, listening to a friend, or just saying hello with a smile. But these seemingly inconsequential acts can't make a difference if we don't show up to do them.

"... by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..." Alma 37:6.

No comments:

Post a Comment