09 May, 2009

Commencement

Where to start?

Well, several close friends of mine have asked why I haven't started a blog. After all, I am a writer. I didn't for a few reasons. First, it seemed rather redundant. I already write in a journal, so reiterating my thoughts on a blog seemed like a waste of time. Second, contact and updates through blogs seemed distant. I felt it would rob me of the personal relationships and face to face interactions I greatly value. So why am I here, after holding out so long, blogging? I can't pin point one specific reason, but I love reading my friends reflections and I enjoy writing my own thoughts, so why not?

It leaves me questioning though how much I should share on such a viral medium. I guess the answer will come with practice, but I think here I will express those thoughts I would want to share with everyone. The others I can leave to my journal.

I think the hardest thing about starting a blog is thinking of a title... that isn't already taken! Mine comes from the quote, "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary... is passion." The funny thing is I can't recall when or where I cam across it, but I feel it applies to so many facets of life. And maybe I thought it applicable because it kind of sums me up in eight words.

I have a passion for varied subjects, though music is probably the most prevalent. No matter what I am doing it relates in one way or another to music. I was studying music initially, but then changed my major to public relations. I've been asked why I changed, and I usually respond with, "Well, I can get where I want to with PR." This isn't entirely true. I could have progressed while studying music and eventually ended up somewhere in the industry and been happy, but with public relations I can utilize more of who I am and what I can do. Yet, I will never be a "suit" in the office of a Fortune 500 company. I have to many creative interests. I am a contemporary singer and songwriter. If I have the choice of spending time anywhere you will find me in the recording studio, behind or in front of the mic! I may post a few songs later... maybe.

I guess that's a beginning. Au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment